The Art Of Laughing Hysterically

If I have learned anything in the past week, it's that not only are the "Mr. Men and Little Miss" books great for reading to a (nearly) 2 year old, BUT they would make spectacular monologues.

Do you know to what I'm referring?


Remember those?

My particular favorite to dramaticize (I think I just made up that word?) is the story of Mr. Happy who lives in Happyland and squeezes himself through a door in a tree and goes down a bunch of stairs (down and down and down and around and around and down) until he finds Mr. Miserable and then he brings Mr. Miserable home with him and then they laugh hysterically for the last 3 pages of the book. And the birds laugh with them.

I'm telling you, recite one of these books at an audition, you would have the job IN. THE. BAG.

I can't even begin to describe to you how fun it is to read Mr. Miserable's dialogue while he is still miserable. Although sometimes I think I make it too convincing, because Maggie will look at me with a very concerned expression on her face.

Speaking of MISERABLE, I have acquired tickets for "Les Miserables," which pleases me greatly. (Did you know they're making it into a movie? I don't know how I feel about that yet) And mother will be witnessing it for the first time, which is most exciting! (my mom HATES it when I refer to her as mother, just FYI, but it's kind of fun) I fully expect both of us to be sobbing buckets by the end.

Also, speaking of laughing hysterically, one time, when I was living in Tyler while Mike was away learning Army, it was Christmastime. I was driving around, delivering dentures to the good people of East Texas, when I saw a truck that caught my eye. It was one of those food trucks that looks like it's a cab with a giant fridge looking truck attached to it? Like, there's all kinds of doors, like the kind an ice cream man has on the top of his cart, but they open up on the sides of the truck? Does that make sense? 

Eh, moving on. 

The truck said something like "Smith Family Candy Company, Est. 1967." And then at the bottom it had listed:

Grourmet Candy - Popcorn - Beef - Chocolate

My mind immediately started singing "one of these things is not like the other..." and then I just lost it and started laughing so hard I was crying. 
I had to share this bizarre food truck discovery with someone, so I called the only person I knew who would appreciate something so dumb and would laugh along with me. 
My mom couldn't understand what I was saying at first because I was laughing so hard, but after she understood, she laughed until she cried too. Although, upon further reflection, there's a very good chance she was just laughing at me.
And I'm PRETTY sure that if there had been any birds around, they would have laughed with us. Because, who sells popcorn with candy, chocolate, and beef?

Sometimes Maggie laughs hysterically for no good reason. I'm telling you, No. Good. Reason. She wraps her pink blanket around herself and laughs like she's being tickled by the best tickler ever. Sometimes I laugh with her. Sometimes I look at her like she's crazy and tell her she is acting so. I know what you're thinking and yes it would be like the pot calling the kettle black.

Also, can I just say that my humor is completely wasted on a (nearly) 2 year old. We went to the HEB today and she got to take her horror of a hot pink pig and her pink blanket (the pig joined us in the store, the blanket waited outside). When we got home, I got her out of the car, wrapped the blanket around the pig and said "Here's your pig! And blanket!....PIG IN A BLANKET!!" And then I laughed and Maggie pointed at someone walking their dogs and I shook my head because that was a really good joke and no one will ever appreciate it.