Some thoughts on Buble, Ballet, and...Bombay?

Today was the kind of day where you get done with work, and as you walk to your car, Michael Buble's version of 'Come Fly With Me' pops into your head and you think 'You're right brain, we SHOULD listen to him on the way home!' So you do.

My point being, does anyone else listen to certain songs and then choreograph dance numbers in their head? I'm not the only one, right? There's tons of us out there. I'm sure of it.

Anyways, I had good old Buble on shuffle and his version of this came on:


This is the first Michael Buble song I EVER heard (thanks to my dear friend Chelsea Rose) and I've been in love with him ever since. (Really. Mike is aware that if Michael Buble declared his undying love for me, that I just might leave him. Also Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. As Michael Buble will never do that and Tony Stark is not a real person, everyone can rest assured that I am never leaving my husband.) After the first time I heard it, I listened to it over and over (does anyone else find a song they can't get enough of and then listen to it till it just dies?) and before I knew it, I had a full blown dance number running through my head. Y'all. It's fantastic. Really. I mean I should get some sort of choreography award for my mind or something. I only wish I had the talent for making costumes I see in my head become real or telling people where to move to and also I really don't know the WORDS for ballroom dance steps but I've seen them plenty of times on 'Dancing with the Stars.' I'm quite good at following dance direction and being told what to wear to do such things, but I'm just not a choreographer/director type person.

It's not just this particular song that does this either. If I hear a good Irish beat, I will immediately start to imagine jigs and reels leaping through my mind. Sometimes my legs even twitch like I'm about to bust a move. It gets so bad that if I'm in the middle of talking to someone and I hear it, they get tuned out completely.

Also classical music does this to me. Even though I walked away from ballet over 10 years ago, it still happens. I love classical music by the way. I learned a great many things from my dad, and one of my favorites was how to love classical music. I've been listening to it a lot in the past week actually. Sometimes I feel like my brain needs a break from the mundane music, dumb lyrics, and off color beats heard on the radio today. So we enjoy some Debussy, Tchaikovsky, and Beethoven together.

Speaking of dumb lyrics, I ALMOST hate to admit it, but I have hereby declared this to be my summer song of 2011: (you know, that song that you feel drawn to that comes out every summer and you have to turn up the radio really loud when it comes on?)




The moral of this post is: Why won't my husband do ballroom dancing classes with me?